Essex Street Market Flashback

Located on the NE corner of Delancey and Essex Street, here's a photo of the Essex Street Market taken by the Wurts Brothers sometime between 1930-1942. The market was built during the 1930s and opened in 1940 under the administration of Mayor Fiorello H LaGuardia. The Mayor created these types of markets to ease up street congestion created by pushcarts and vendors that crowded the city streets at the time.

Essex Street Market today:

EssexSt_Delancey_ANIM

 The market has been in the neighborhood for well over 70 years now but it faces some tough times ahead as the SPURA (Seward Park Urban Renewal Area) Project may have plans for it to be demolished and relocated.

Source: NYPL Digital Gallery